Non Invasive Cardiac Diagnostics
3 Dimensional Cardiovascular Cartography to detect CAD
Looking into the heart and evaluating its health are the first steps in deciding on the best treatment. Today, a number of tests can be performed without intervention.
At Safe Health, our patients receive high quality care in a state-of-the-art Non-Invasive Cardiac diagnostic Laboratory. We use the new advanced non invasive 3-D Cardiovascular Cartography for early detection of CAD and for assessment of Cardiovascular functional status.
Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)
Coronary Artery Disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women all over the world. CAD is caused by a narrowing of the coronary arteries causing diminished blood supply to the heart, and can result in a heart attack. For many people, the first symptom of heart disease may be a heart attack and 50% of them may not survive the first attack
Recent studies indicate that the extent of blockages do not necessarily correlate with the patients symptoms, performance of heart, blood flow to the coronaries etc.
The reason is because we have alternate channels of blood flow called-Collateral of Natural Bypasses. It opens up more in those who have had large blocks and those who have exercised adequately and gives exactly the same benefit as, is presumed to be provided by the By pass surgery.
That is why we hear of several cases where people live very long even though they have been told that they have 90-100% blockage in the main arteries.
Hence it is important to know how well the heart is functioning and how much is the blood flow reduction rather than knowing the extent of blockages. It is here that the Cardiovascular Cartography becomes significant.
3 Dimensional Cardiovascular Cartography (3DCCG)
It is a new advanced technique which measures the blood flow to the various regions of the heart using a technology called Trans-Aortic Signal Wave Modulation and Flow Turbulence Accelerometry. It is US FDA listed, certified by CE, EN 46001, CSA, UL, VDE etc. It is useful in early detection of Heart disease. Even a small blood flow reduction caused by blockages as low as 20% can be detected.
Other Cardiovascular Functional information provided by 3 DCCG
Cardiovascular Cartography provides information on the functional status of the heart. It tells you what is the amount of blood pumped by the heart in one minute (Cardiac output), how much resistance is there against which it has to pump (Systemic resistance), how much volume it is pumping during every beat (Stroke volume), what proportion of blood is pumped (Ejection fraction) etc. All these parameters are extremely useful in assessing how well the heart is functioning. It also helps the physician to choose the right drug for his high blood pressure (hypertension) or other heart problem.
It also provides information on whether a person has atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries due to cholesterol deposits), whether the person has a tendency to have erratic beats (arrhythmogenicity) and whether one has increased likelihood clot formation. (thrombogenicity), how much is the burden on the heart due to increased BP etc.
In short it can be called as “Heart Function Test” just like Liver function test and Lung function tests
Advantages of 3DCCG
- Totally non-invasive – No injection, no catherization, no anaesthesia.
- No hospitalization, No radiation, no pain
- No risk, No after effects – no physical or mental strain
- Early detection of Heart disease caused by blockages as low as 20%.
- It also assesses the functional status of heart and helps in selecting the correct drug for preventing heart attack and controlling hypertension.
- Can be repeated several times unlike other invasive methods.
Who can undergo Cardiovascular Cartography?
Any adult can undergo the test as a screening method for early detection of heart disease. It is very useful to diagnose whether chest pain is of cardiac or non- cardiac origin, since it provides the valuable Demand: Supply Ratio. Increased D:S is suggestive of Ischemia (Heart related Pain)
It is particularly useful for all high-risk persons like those
- Individuals having Diabetes
- People with high cholesterol/ triglyceride levels
- Those who have high blood pressure
- People who smoke regularly/ take tobacco
- Those who consume alcohol regularly
- Overweight persons
- Persons with relatives having heart disease
- People with minimal physical activity or sedentary lifestyle
- People with stressful lifestyle
For whom is 3DCCG useful?
- Positive TMT
- Advised angiogram for detecting heart disease blocks
- Anyone having chest pain to know if it is due to heart (Angina) or other disease
- Heart patients – to determine the extent of heart disease (previous heart attacks)
- Heart patients to monitor the effectiveness of the treatment.
- Follow up after angioplasty (PTCA) to detect recurrence.
- Follow up after by-pass surgery (CABG)